There is a common misconception among Long Island homeowners that a simple chimney sweeping is all that is needed to keep their fireplaces operating properly and safely. Granted, having your chimney professionally cleaned, inspected, and maintained by Alliance Chimney of Long Island is essential to the safety of your household. However, proper chimney maintenance may involve the assistance of a Long Island chimney repair service. Here are 5 signs indicating the need for repair.
- Chimney cap is missing – no ladder is required for this. The primary purpose of chimney caps is to ensure that moisture and rain do not get into the flue. Water is a primary source of material deterioration and can result in the growth of mildew, mold, moss, and rotting.
- Chimney crown damage – this is the 2” or 3” slab of concrete or mortar found on the topmost part of the chimney. It surrounds the flue tiles and covers the top bricks. Since the bottom and top of bricks are porous, the crown ensures that they do not absorb water. You want to inspect the crown to see if there are any cracks and receding corners or edges.
- Cracks or separations between bricks and mortar – over time, moisture and rain will start eroding a chimney’s structure from the top down to the base when the cap is missing or the crown needs repair. Mortar joints may fail if they go unchecked and the bricks will loosen. Fortunately, this chimney repair only needs to be done every 30 to 50 years.
- Damage to the firebox – in many instances, damage to the firebox results from exposure to moisture. There could be loose bricks, efflorescence, and missing mortar joints. If you notice any of these issues, you will need to contact us to repair them.
- Efflorescence or white staining – chances are if white staining (efflorescence) is present, you have a moisture problem and will most likely need to contact us to correct the problem and perform whatever repairs are required. Efflorescence results when moisture evaporates and the natural brick and mortar salts leach to the service.
Alliance Chimney of Long Island has been providing a wide range of chimney repair services for over 20 years. All of the issues above can lead to some very costly repairs and even structural damage if they are not addressed immediately. If you notice any of these issues, don’t procrastinate. Call us today for an inspection and an estimated cost of repairs.